San Francesco

Roverè Veronese
Piazza San Francesco , IT 37028 Roverè Veronese (VR)
The small village of San Francesco in Roverè Veronese, home to a beautiful square, a church, a monumental tree (which has always been a symbol of the town) and its nearby hamlets, is located at an altitude of 1,101 metres and is easily accessible from Verona and from various points in Lessinia.

Lessinia is known for its natural beauty and wonderful landscapes, its architecture, its popular traditions and its legends, but that's not all. It is also known for its many towering, centuries-old trees. One of these is located in the square of San Francesco in Roverè Veronese, previously known as San Francesco al Teggio (or Teglio) due to the presence of a large lime tree ('tiglio' in Italian) next to the parish church. The plant, considered sacred by the Cimbri people, was then replaced by a centuries-old beech, which is now dead.

The small village of San Francesco, with its charming square and nearby hamlets, is located at an altitude of 1,101 metres and is easily accessible from Verona, along the road after Velo Veronese, along the road from Roverè, or from Bosco Chiesanuova. The church dedicated to the saints Francis, Roch and Bellinus, located in the main square, was built by the inhabitants of the area as a chapel subject to the Parish of Roverè in 1639. The current church was built on the foundations of the previous one in 1883. It is dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi and was consecrated in 1945.

The bell tower, built by Mario Corradi, was added in 1895. Externally, the building has a south-facing gabled façade and a bell tower on the western side of the church. The interior has a rectangular floorplan, with a main altar and three side altars. The second altar on the right has an altarpiece featuring the Madonna and Child, Saint Anthony and Saint Valentine, dated 1677. All the altars are decorated with precious marble from the surrounding areas. The altarpiece above the main altar, depicting the Madonna with the saints Roch, Bellinus and George, dates from the second half of the 18th century. The nave of the building is covered by a barrel vault punctuated by smooth cross-cutting ribs, while the floor is made of Lessinia stone slabs. Although the town is made up of largely restored buildings, it still preserves its authentic, age-old ambience. Various points of interest are within walking distance, such as the Valle delle Sfingi (Valley of the Sphinxes), the Covolo (a nearby cave), and the Museum of Camposilvano.

churches/monasteries/convents | place of pilgrimage | squares/streets | various sights
Leisure time | Lessinia